Recherche de fonds d'archives
Pour formuler un commentaire, veuillez communiquer avec firstname.lastname@example.org
Description trouvée dans les archives
Collection se compose de
Lieu de création
9 microfilm reels : negative and positive.
Portée et contenu
Collection consists of selections of Canadian interest from the papers of Charles, second Earl Grey, photocopy, 1813-1842; Henry George, Viscount Howick and third Earl, originals and photocopies, 1828-1893; and General Charles Grey, diaries and other records, 1834-1841. Microfilmed material includes copy of diaries, 1829-1852 of Earl Grey and his wife giving detailed records of British political affairs, and microfilmed correspondence, 1828-1893 to and from a great variety of correspondents on Canadian affairs, including Edward Ellice. Microfilmed material is located on reels A-403 to A-405, A-576 to A-580 and A-706.
Bobine de microfilm A-405
Bobine de microfilm A-576
Bobine de microfilm A-577
Bobine de microfilm A-578
Bobine de microfilm A-403
Bobine de microfilm A-404
Bobine de microfilm A-706
Bobine de microfilm A-580
Bobine de microfilm A-579
de 3 À 39
de A-403 À A-405
de A-576 À A-580
Textual records The finding aid describes the papers in volumes 1 to 39 indicating which part of the papers are originals held by the National Archives of Canada and which part of the papers have been photocopied, or microfilmed, together with descriptive lists of these. MSS0176 90 (Électronique)
Biographie / Histoire administrative
Charles Grey, second Earl Grey, Viscount Howick and Baron Grey (1764-1845), British statesman and military officer, was a classical scholar, prominent member of the Whig Club and the Whig Party, First Lord of the Admiralty, 1806; Foreign Secretary, 1806-1807; and Prime Minister, 1831-1834.
His eldest son, Henry George Grey, Viscount Howick (1799-1882) was Under Secretary for War and the Colonies, 1830-1833; Secretary for War, 1835-1839; and after succeeding his father as third Earl Grey in 1846, served as Secretary for War and the Colonies, 1846-1852.
Charles Grey (1804-1870), a brother of Henry George Grey, served in Canada as Colonel of the 71st Regiment. He was seconded by Lord Durham for special services one of which was to carry a message to the President of the United States; another was to assist in the deliberations of the Special Council as to the fate of political prisoners. In 1839, he returned to England but was back in Canada with his regiment in November, 1840. He eventually attained the rank of General in 1865.
Microfilm of those documents and others were subsequently acquired: reels A-403 to A-405 in 1959, reels A-576 to A-580 in 1963, and reel A-706 in 1967. At various times, portions of the papers have been transcribed and photocopies have been made from the microfilms.
Note sur l'emplacement des originaux
1. Statesmen - Great Britain, 1813-1893 Lord Durham, 1837-1840.
2. Great Britain. Army - Officers, 1813-1893 Edward Ellice, 1813-1822.
3. Boundary disputes, 1798 John Galt, 1834.
4. New Brunswick - Boundaries - Maine, 1798 Sir James Willoughby Gordon, 1842.
5. Maine - Boundaries - New Brunswick, 1798 C.P. Thomson, 1832.
6. Montreal (Quebec) - Meteorology - Observations, 1839 Lord Russell, [1829-1852]
7. St. John (Lower Canada) - Meteorology - Observations, 1839 Lord Melbourne, [1829-1852]
8. Great Britain - Politics and government, 1829-1893 Earl of Elgin and Kincardine, 1846-1852.
9. Colonies - Administration, 1829-1852.
10. Colonies - British North America, 1829-1852.
11. Great Britain - Colonial policy, 1829-1852.
12. Canada - Emigration and immigration, 1829-1852.
13. Great Britain - Emigration and immigration, 1829-1852.
14. Canada - Commerce, 1829-1852.
15. Great Britain - Commerce, 1829-1852.
16. British North America - Commerce, 1829-1852.
17. Grey family, 1813-1893.
18. Fisheries - British North America, 1829-1852.
19. Great Britain. Army - Canada, 1829-1852.
20. Great Britain - Armed Forces - Canada, 1829-1852.
21. Great Britain - Colonial Office - Despatches, 1829-1852.
22. Church of England - Canada, 1822-1852.
23. Religion - Canada, 1829-1852.
24. Finance - Canada, 1829-1859.
25. Land policy - Canada, 1829-1852.
26. Great Britain - Commerce - Canada, 1829-1852.
27. Canada - Commerce - Great Britain, 1829-1852.
28. Colonies. Great Britain
29. Colonies. Grande-Bretagne
30. Politics and government. Canada
31. Politique et gouvernement . Canada
32. Canada. Legislative Council.
No de contrôle d'autres systèmes
- Date de modification :