To submit a comment, contact email@example.com
Description found in Archives
Place of creation
Language of material
Scope and content
Shows America's Pacific Northwest Coast from the Gulf of California (the Baja Peninsula), New Albion (California) to the Alaskan coast, Prince William Sound and Cook's River. Depicts the Bering Strait, the Aleutian Islands and Russian Kamtchatka. The tracks of Capt. Cook in his ship "The Resolution" and Capt. Clerke in "The Discovery" are shown crossing the North Pacific Ocean from the Sandwich Islands (Hawaii) to the coast of Alaska and returning, in 1778 and 1779. The discoveries of Samuel Hearne (1745-92) to the north of Hudson's Bay are depicted, as well as the area where he located the Coppermine River in 1770.
Conditions of access
Original can be viewed in the presence o
f an early cartographic archivist.
569 Item no. assigned by LAC 569
Credit Library and Archives Canada. Copyright expired.
"Deg. W. from Philadelphia".
Ms. "57" in upper left margin.
Citation / reference note
Copy / version note
1. North Pacific Ocean - Discovery and exploration - Maps - Early works to 1800.
2. Arctic regions - Discovery and exploration - Maps - Early works to 1800.
3. Pacific Coast (North America) - Discovery and exploration - Maps - Early works to 1800.
4. Cook, James,
5. Clerke, Charles, 1741-1779.
6. Hearne, Samuel, 1745-1792 - Discovery and exploration - Canada - Maps - Early works to 1800.
7. Northwest, Canadian - Discoveries and exploration - Maps - Early works to 1800.
- Date modified: