To submit a comment, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Description found in Archives
Place of creation
R. Sayer & J. Bennett
Original can be viewed in the presence o
f an early cartographic archivist.
283 Item no. assigned by LAC 283
Credit Library and Archives Canada. Copyright expired.
Publisher: R. Sayer and J. Bennett (Firm)
Prime meridian: Ferro.
"No II" appears in bottom right corner.
Includes comparative table: Hudson Strait and Bay, Davis Straits and Baffin Bay, West coast of Greenland with observations by Bellin and D'Anville.
Includes illustrations of ships and routes of different explorers as well as information on discoveries by the different explorers.
Published according to the Act of Parliament, 10 June 1775, by R. Sayer & J. Bennett, No 53 fleet Street.
Map represents the right hand sheet. For left hand sheet see Alexander E. MacDonald Canadiana Collection # 124.
From: The American atlas, 1778.
Alexander E. MacDonald Canadiana Collection # 283
Physical condition note
Source of title
2. One of six sheets that make up "A Chart of the North and South America including the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans with the nearest coasts of Europe, Africa and Asia by Sayer and Bennett.
Citation / reference note
Kershaw, Entry 470, State 3
Copy / version note
1. Hudson Bay - Maps - Early works to 1800.
2. Baffin Bay - Maps - Early works to 1800.
3. Maps Greenland
4. Hudson Strait- Maps - Early works to 1800.
5. Davis Strait - Maps - Early works to 1800.
6. Arctic region - Maps - Early works to 1800.
7. Canada, Northern - Maps - Early works to 1800.
- Date modified: