To submit a comment, contact email@example.com
Warning: Descriptive record is in process. These materials may not yet be available for consultation.
Description found in Archives
Series consists of
Series part of
Place of creation
No place, unknown, or undetermined
Scope and content
Series consists of records created and/or maintained by the Sarcee Agency. The series includes incoming correspondence, general operational records, financial records, circulars, an Agent's journal, and letterbooks.
Copyright belongs to the Crown. In order to protect the fragile originals, the microfilm copies of these records must be consulted rather than the originals.
Biography / Administrative history
In 1880, Indian Agent Norman MacLeod was appointed (Order in Council 387, 5 March 1880) to administer the bands of the Treaty 7 area. Agency headquarters were at Fort MacLeod. Early in 1882, Indian Agent C. E. Denny took over responsibility for the "northern division" of the Treaty 7 area, the Blackfoot, Stoney, and Sarcee tribes. Later that year, Denny removed to Fort MacLeod when the "southern division" Treaty 7 bands (Blood and Peigan) were added to his responsibilities upon the departure of Agent N. MacLeod. A sub-agent (W. Pocklington) was later appointed to administer the affairs of the "northern division" bands from a base at Blackfoot Crossing, under the overall supervision of Denny. In 1884, Pocklington took over the overall responsibility for the Treaty 7 bands from Denny, operating from the agency office at Fort MacLeod. A sub-agent, Magnus Begg, replaced Pocklington at Blackfoot Crossing. In October 1884, the responsibility for Treaty 7 bands was formally split, with the creation of two separate agencies. Begg became the Indian Agent for the Blackfoot, Sarcee, and Stoney bands, with his agency based at Blackfoot Crossing. In 1885, the northern Treaty 7 agency was further divided with agent Begg's responsibilities confined to the Blackfoot reserve, in what now became known as the Blackfoot Agency. A separate agency, based at the Sarcee reserve, was set up for the administration of the Sarcee and Stoney bands under agent de Balinhard. This agency became known as the Sarcee Agency. Around 1901, a separate Stoney Agency was established for the administration of the Stoney bands. The Sarcee agency was amalgamated with the Stoney Agency on 17 April 1948 under the name Stoney-Sarcee. Finding aid 10-12: Guide to Indian Bands and Agencies in Western Canada, 1871-1959.
- Date modified: