To submit a comment, contact email@example.com
Warning: Descriptive record is in process. These materials may not yet be available for consultation.
Description found in Archives
Series consists of
Series part of
Place of creation
No place, unknown, or undetermined
Scope and content
Series consists of general operational records and central registry files created and/or maintained by the Saint John River Agency.
Copyright belongs to the Crown. In order to protect the fragile originals, the microfilm copies of these records must be consulted rather than the originals.
Biography / Administrative history
An agency for the western and southern New Brunswick bands was established by Order in Council in 1872. In 1909 (Order in Council 29 May 1909) separate North West and South West agencies were created. In 1949 the North West Agency (sometimes referred to as the Northern Agency), responsible for the Edmunston and Tobique reserves, was re-named Tobique Agency. Also in 1949, the South West Agency, responsible for the Woodstock, Kingsclear, St. Mary's, and Oromocto bands was re-named Kingsclear Agency. In 1958 the Kingsclear and Tobique agencies merged to form the Saint John River Agency. The Miramichi and St. John River Agencies merged to form the New Brunswick District Office effective 1 July 1971. Regional Administrative Histories, 1958-1990, (Bands, Agencies, Districts). Unpublished draft in the possession of the RG10 archivist, prepared by Peter Kiefl et al.
- Date modified: