To submit a comment, contact email@example.com
Warning: Descriptive record is in process. These materials may not yet be available for consultation.
Description found in Archives
Series consists of
Series part of
Place of creation
No place, unknown, or undetermined
Scope and content
Series consists, for the most part, of records created and/or maintained by the Nass Agency. A small number of files include records dating from the period after the amalgamation of the Nass Agency into the Skeena River Agency. The series includes miscellaneous correspondence and reports relating to agency matters. Volume 1662 contains letters received by the agent as well as copies of agent's reports, 1904-1920. Material in volumes 10874, 10877 and 10878 relates to matters such as land leases, commonage, surveys, roads, right of way, mineral rights, timber, fishing stations and law and order, 1910-1941. All records were originally filed using the Shannon file records keeping system common during the time period throughout Department of Indian Affairs field ofices.
Microfilm reel T-3968
Microfilm reel T-3969
Microfilm reel C-14881
from 10874 to 10875
Copyright belongs to the Crown. In order to protect the fragile originals, the microfilm copies of these records must be consulted rather than the originals.
Finding aid 10-1 is a computer generated volume list related to volume 1662. 10-1 (Electronic)
Finding aid 10-52 is a computer generated file list related to volumes 10874-10878. 10-52 (Electronic)
Biography / Administrative history
The Nass Agency, British Columbia, was created from the division of the North West Coast Agency into the Nass, Queen Charlotte, and Bella Coola Agencies in December, 1909. The headquarters of the Nass Agency was initially located in Metlakatla but was moved to Prince Rupert c. November 1916. The agents during this early period were: J.A. McIntosh (1909- ); Charles Perry (1910- ); and W.E. Collison (1920-1922). The Nass Agency was divided into the Nass and Skeena River Agencies in 1920. The two agencies were re-united in 1922 under the name Skeena River Agency. The Skeena River Agency headquarters remained at Prince Rupert, and Agent Collinson, formerly the agent for the Nass Agency, became the agent for the new Skeena River Agency. It has not been possible to determine which bands were transferred to the Skeena River Agency in 1919, and which bands were moved in 1922. In 1959, some bands from the Agency were moved to the newly-created Terrace Agency and in 1967, the Skeena River Agency became the North Coast District. Finding aid 10-202: Guide to Indian Bands and Agencies in British Columbia.
Source of title
Availability of other formats note
Related control no.
1. 1981-82/023 GAD
2. 1984-85/090 GAD
- Date modified: