To submit a comment, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Warning: Descriptive record is in process. These materials may not yet be available for consultation.
Description found in Archives
Series consists of
Series part of
Place of creation
No place, unknown, or undetermined
Language of material
Scope and content
Series consists of records created and/or maintained by the Meadow Lake Agency. The series includes general operational records, central registry files, and daily journals.
Conditions of access
Copyright belongs to the Crown.
Biography / Administrative history
Although the Meadow Lake Agency was created only in 1948, that office inherited responsibility for the affairs of bands which had been under the administration of the Department of Indian Affairs since the late 19th century. The Meadow Lake Agency came to administer, at one time or another, the affairs of bands from three different Treaty areas (6, 8 and 10) although the majority of the bands within its administrative scope were signatories of Treaty 10. The Treaty 10 bands were initially grouped into the Ile à la Crosse (sometimes spelled Isle à la Crosse) Agency, an administrative unit that appears in departmental annual reports from as early as 1913. This Agency, however, did not have a resident agent in the Treaty 10 area. Contact between the Treaty 10 bands and their agent was limited to the annual treaty payment visit. For a few years around the time of World War I, the bands of the Ile à la Crosse Agency were under the supervision of the North Saskatchewan Inspectorate, the inspector being based at Prince Albert. When the inspectorate system was abolished in Saskatchewan, the Indian Agent for the Ile à la Crosse Agency operated from the Office of the Indian Commissioner in Regina. For the period 1936-1948, the Battleford Agency assumed responsibility for the Treaty 10 bands which had previously been administered through the Ile à la Crosse Agency. In 1948, this responsibility was transferred to the newly-created Meadow Lake Agency. In 1960, responsibility for the Treaty 6 Onion Lake Band was transferred from the Meadow Lake Agency to the Battleford Agency. In 1967, responsibility for the Treaty 8 Fond du Lac and Stony Rapids bands was transferred from the Meadow Lake Agency to the Carlton Agency. Effective 1 April 1970, the Battleford and Meadow Lake agencies were amalgamated to form the North Battleford District. Effective 1 April 1974, responsibility for the Canoe Lake, English River, Joseph Bighead, Meadow Lake, Peter Pond, Portage la Loche, Turnor Lake and Waterhen Lake bands was transferred from the North Battleford District to the newly-created Meadow Lake Distict. Finding aid 10-12: Guide to Indian Bands and Agencies in Western Canada, 1871-1959.
- Date modified: