To submit a comment, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Warning: Descriptive record is in process. These materials may not yet be available for consultation.
Description found in Archives
Series consists of
Series part of
Place of creation
No place, unknown, or undetermined
Scope and content
Series consists of treaty annuity paylists created and/or maintained by the Fort McMurray Agency.
Copyright belongs to the Crown. In order to protect the fragile originals, the microfilm copies of these records must be consulted rather than the originals.
Finding aid 10-93 is a computer generated boxlist. 10-93 (Electronic)
Biography / Administrative history
In February 1911, an agent was first appointed to administer the bands located in the northeastern portion of Treaty 8. This agency was known as the Fort Smith Agency, the name derived from the location of the agency headquarters. Agency headquarters were moved to Fort McMurray in 1924, and the agency name changed accordingly. In 1932, agency headquarters was re-located to Fort Chipewyan and tha agency came to be known as the Athabaska Agency. In 1949, responsibility for th Janvier and Fort McMurray bands was transferred to the Edmonton Agency, but responsibility for these bands was later returned to the Saddle Lake / Athabaska District office. In 1980, responsibility for the Cree and Chipewyan bands at Fort Chipewyan, and the Fort McMurray and Janvier Bands was separated from the Saddle Lake/Athabaska District to constitute the Fort McMurray District. In 1983 the reorganization of the Alberta Region resulted in the establishment of the Fort McMurray District Field Office. This office was then designated as a service centre effective 1 April 1987. Regional Administrative Histories, 1958-1990, (Bands, Agencies, Districts). Unpublished draft in the possession of the RG10 archivist, prepared by Peter Kiefl et al.
Availability of other formats note
- Date modified: