Archives Search


Search only: Library, Archives Advanced Search, Ancestors, Images, Search All

To submit a comment, contact webservices@lac-bac.gc.ca

Search Help


Warning: Descriptive record is in process. These materials may not yet be available for consultation.



Description found in Archives

Fort Frances Agency [textual record (microform)] [1891-1917].

Series consists of

Date(s)

Microfilmed in 1970

Place of creation

No place, unknown, or undetermined

3 microfilm reels

Scope and content

Series consists of microfilmed copies of records created and/or maintained by the Fort Frances Agency. The series contains microfilmed copies of the following records: outgoing correspondence letterbooks, 1891-1917, (reels T-11947 to T-11949) and incoming correspondence letterbook, 1897-1900 (reel T-11948). Technical problems in the filming process have resulted in the records being incorrectly positioned on the film. In order to utilize the film, the lens of the reader needs to be rotated 180 degrees and in some cases 225 degrees, in order to view the documentation.

Textual records: microform
Microfilm reel T-11947
90: Open
Textual records: microform
Microfilm reel T-11949
90: Open
Textual records: microform
Microfilm reel T-11948
90: Open
Textual records: microform
96: Restrictions vary
Microfilm reel
from T-11947 to T-11949
90: Open
Archival reference no.
Former archival reference no.

Terms of use

Copyright belongs to the Crown.

Finding aid 10-169 is a computer generated volume list. 10-169 90 (Electronic)

Biography / Administrative history

The Fort Frances Indian Agency encompassed various Ojibwa (Saulteaux) Bands in the Rainy Lake area of Northwestern Ontario. According to "Notes on the Dept of Indian Affairs and its Agencies etc" (p. 211), the name of the Couchiching Agency was changed to the Fort Frances Agency on 20 July 1903. The file cited as containing that information (245,540) has not survived. In 1955, the Rainy River band was formed by the merger of the Hungry Hall, Long Sault, Manitou Rapids and Little Forks bands. The Assabaska band changed its name to the Sabaskong band in 1964. The Big Grassy band was established in 1964 with members from other bands. The Sturgeon Lake band became "extinct" in 1931, with the remainder of its members transferred to the Lac La Croix band. On 1 April 1972 the agency became known as the Fort Frances District. Finding aid 10-157: Guide to Indian Affairs Field Office Organization in Ontario, 1845-1990.

Archives of Ontario website

Additional information

Custodial history
This microfilm was produced by the Archives of Ontario in 1970. The records were filmed in the field at each of the various localities of the individual offices of the Department of Indian Affairs while the records were still in the custody of the Department. The current locations of the original documents are unknown, although it is possible that some of the originals have found their way into accessions of records subsequently transferred to National Archives custody.

Source of title
Title is based on the contents of the series.

Accruals
No further accruals are expected.

Related materials
Related records may also be found in the Fort Frances District Office series.

Associated material note
A copy of this microfilm is held at the Archives of Ontario.

Dates of creation note
This microfilm was produced by the Archives of Ontario in 1970.

Government

Related control no.

1. 1992-93/155 GAD
2. 120-000155-9
3. RG10-C-VI