To submit a comment, contact email@example.com
Warning: Descriptive record is in process. These materials may not yet be available for consultation.
Description found in Archives
Series consists of
Place of creation
No place, unknown, or undetermined
Scope and content
Series consists of paylists and central registry files related to the St. Lawrence Ship Channel.
Copyright belongs to the Crown.
Finding aid 12-25 is a computer generated file list relating to volumes 5000-5086. 12-25 (Electronic)
Biography / Administrative history
The St. Lawrence was established as a commercial route in 1825 with the opening of the Lachine canal. Montreal could then be reached more easily, but only by the light-draught sailing vessels. After 1825, proposals were made to improve the accessibility of the canal to vessels of 500 tonnes. Improvements were begun by the Board of Works in 1844 and continued until 1846, when construction was suspended; the management and the execution of the project was transferred from the Board of Works to the control of the Commissioners of Public Works. The work was again suspended in 1847, when opposition objected to the channel's location in Lake St. Peter. In 1850, work on the Lake St. Peter channel was resumed, this time by the harbour Commissioners of Montreal. Deepening the canal continued until 1888, when the Government decided to complete the channel as a national project and assume the debt. In 1889, responsibility for the enterprise switched to the Department of Public Works. In 1904, it was transferred to the Department of Marine and Fisheries. Two Engineers, a Superintending Engineer and a Resident Engineer, handled contracting, improvement and maintenance operations, reporting to the Deputy Minister of Marine and Fisheries.
The Department of Transport took over responsibility for Channel in 1936, with the Chief Engineer reporting to the Deputy Minister, Department of Transport. Referred to as the St. Lawrence Ship Channel Division, the latter was responsible for the design, construction, and maintenance of a deep draught channel for ocean shipping, as well as icebreaking and survey and inspection vessels. In 1971, Transport reorganized all of its marine services on the lower St. Lawrence River and responsibility for maintaining the channel was assigned to the department's Laurentian Regional Office. RG12 General Inventory
- Date modified: