To submit a comment, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Warning: Descriptive record is in process. These materials may not yet be available for consultation.
Description found in Archives
Series consists of
Series part of
Place of creation
No place, unknown, or undetermined
6 architectural drawings
Scope and content
Series consists of records created and maintained by the Manitoulin Island District Office and its predecessors. The series includes agency paylists and census records, vital statistics, various election records, general operational records, letterbooks, land sales books, financial records and warrants, returns, receipts, and Council resolutions.
Series also consists of survey maps of the townships of Carnarvon and Sandflied, an Eastern Algoma right-of-way and sites for range lights at the entrance of South Bay. The architectural drawings concern housing, a game officer's cabin and a handicraft store.
Access restrictions may vary. Please con
sult the access list.
2000577975 Item no. assigned by LAC 1 -- 10
Copyright belongs to the Crown. In order to protect the fragile originals, the microfilm copies of these records must be consulted rather than the originals.
Cartographic material: Copyright belongs to the Crown. Credit Library and Archives Canada.
Architectural, technical drawings: Copyright belongs to the Crown. Credit Library and Archives Canada.
Cartographic material Please consult ArchiviaNet. Paper finding aid is available in the main reference room. RG10M 945020. 90 (Electronic)
Architectural, technical drawings Please consult ArchiviaNet. Paper finding aid is available in the main reference room. RG10M 945020. 90 (Electronic)
Biography / Administrative history
The "old" Northern Superintendency was officially established in 1845. Its jurisdiction included Manitoulin Island, Cockburn Island, and, after the Robinson Treaties, communities along the north shores of Lakes Huron and Superior and Georgian Bay. This superintendency was based at Manitowaning, on Manitoulin Island.
The "old" Northern Superintendency was restructured in 1873 with the creation of three offices, viz. Northern Superintendency, Divisions 1, 2, and 3 (a fourth office, the Northern Superintendency, Division 4, was created in 1875). A Superintendent was appointed in 1873 to administer, from an office at the town of Manitowaning, the bands designated as the responsibility of the Northern Superintendency, Division 1 (i.e. those bands located on Manitoulin and Cockburn Islands, and on the shores of Georgian Bay/Lake Huron between Maganettawan and Thessalon River). In addition to the superintendent's office there were also created within the area of the Northern Superintendency, Division 1, three Indian Lands offices (Thessalon - opened in 1877, Gore Bay - opened in 1878, and Cockburn Island - opened in 1879). In 1892, the Gore Bay and Cockburn Island Indian Lands Offices were amalgamated at Gore Bay.
In 1898, the Northern Superintendency, Division 1 was dismantled and the Indian Land offices were abolished. A Thessalon Agency was created to administer the Thessalon River, Mississagi River, Serpent River, and Spanish River (Divisions 1 and 2) Bands; a Gore Bay Agency was created to administer the Cockburn Island, Sheshegwaning, Obidgewong, and West Bay bands; and a Manitowaning Agency was created to administer the remaining bands of the abolished Northern Superintendency, Division 1. In 1938, the Gore Bay and Manitowaning Indian agencies were amalgamated to create the Manitoulin Island Agency. This agency became the Manitoulin Island District Office in 1972. Effective 1 April 1976, the Manitoulin Island District was absorbed, along with the Sault Ste. Marie District, into the Sudbury District. RG10 General Inventory
RG10M 945020, transferred to Visual and Sound Archives from the Government Archives Division, RG10, accession 1976-77/102 in December, 1994.
Source of title
Cartographic math data
1. Canada - Ontario.
Related control no.
1. 1976-77/102 GAD
2. 945020 CA
4. RG10M 945020
- Date modified: