To submit a comment, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Description found in Archives
Series consists of
Series part of
Place of creation
No place, unknown, or undetermined
3 microfilm reels positive 35 mm.
0.4 m of textual records transcripts.
Scope and content
Colonial Office 324, one of the "Colonies General" classes consists of entry books of out-going documents of the "General" department of the Colonial Office and its antecedents. Included are entry and précis books of the Board of Trade, entry books of private letters from certain Under-Secretaries and some of the Chief Clerk's miscellaneous entry books. Types of documents found in this class include: commissions, instructions, petitions, grants, orders-in-council, warrants, law officers' opinions, and letters. Issued in Great Britain rather than in the colonies, these documents authorize activities and appointments to office in the Northern and Southern areas of British North America and in other British colonies. Authorized appointments are both military and civil and relate mainly to the more senior officers of the colony, although there are some local appointments. This material is available on microfilm reels B-3215 to B-3216, and B-6185 to B-6187. Transcripts of entry books, vols. 55 and 56, are available on microfilm reel C-10868.
The transcripts have been withdrawn from circulation. Researchers are requested to consult the microfilm of the transcripts.
Finding aid no. 90, British Records on Microfilm, lists the material on each reel of microfilm, both original and transcript. MSS0090 (Electronic)
Finding aid no. 646 provides copies of indexes to volumes 89 to 90, 95 to 97, and volumes 103 and 104. A number of contemporary registers are available as finding aids but must be used with caution because of the vagaries of arrangement and classification. MSS0646 (Paper)
1. Grants, [1763-1768] Great Britain. Under-Secretary of State for War and the Colonies, [1794-1836]
2. Warrants (Law) - Quebec (Province), [1763-1768]
3. Commissions, [1763-1768]
4. Governors - Great Britain, [1794-1863]
5. Colonial administrators - Great Britain, [1794-1836]
6. Consuls - Great Britain, [1794-1836]
7. Great Britain - Diplomatic and consular service, [1794-1836]
8. Naturalization records - Great Britain, 1740-1763.
9. Great Britain - Colonies - Emigration and immigration, 1740-1763.
10. Colonies Administration. Great Britain
11. Colonies Administration. Grande-Bretagne
Other system control no.
Related control no.
- Date modified: